Monday, June 9, 2014

PAPERBACK COPIES

I have my book, THE CHOSEN ONE, on amazon as an ebook. On that site it sells for .99 cents in the USA or $1.09 in Canada. Not sure what it sells for in the UK, but I'm assuming really cheap. Here is a link to the amazon site.          http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K0SH3EI

I also have PAPERBACK copies of the book available on another site. On that site you can also buy an ebook copy of my book. However, there the price is $2.99. The paperback version of my book sells for $17. It may seem like a lot but I only make 30-40 cents per book.  Here is a link to the PAPERBACK version of THE CHOSEN ONE    http://3mpub.com/brown/

I originally wrote this story years ago. My ability as a writer/author was marginal back in those days. I wrote the story and self-published it anyway. The story and its content were great. Nonetheless, the grammar, sentence structure, wording and spelling were questionable. I handed out free copies of the paperback version of my book, which cost me a bundle, but received encouraging feedback. I put it to one side and forgot about it.

Flash forward to December 2012. It was xmass time and I was bored. I found an old copy of my book and proceeded to read it. First thing that popped in my head while reading the book was; "what illiterate person wrote this piece of garbage?" That was when I decided to embark on an editing frenzy.

I work in the movie industry and for three months, Jan-March, I edited that book as if my life depended on it. I placed each chapter in its own file. Then I copy and paste one page at a time and edited it to my satisfaction.

I saved my work at the end of each day and would edit it again in the morning. Each chapter had multiply saved copies. I would finish off a chapter and move forward. Every three chapters I would go back and edit it all again. I would not move onto another chapter until I felt good about the one I was working one.

Once PART ONE of my book was done I sent it out to four friends for feedback. While they were reading it I continued on with the second half of my book. However, by then I was working full time in the movie industry and my editing progress had almost ground to a halt.

In Jan-March of 2014 I sent out the second half of my book to friends. They gave me feedback and I did one more editing of the entire book before searching for a copy editor. I found an excellent copy editor who made the words of my story flow like magic; tickling the sensory palette of my readers.

So now you know the story of how this book came to be. If you buy an ebook or paperback copy of the book please leave a review on the amazon site. There is no page on the paperback site for leaving reviews.

Reviews are very important to an author, especially a first time author.

I am working on my second book, which should be out in 2015. You can also read chapter one to THE CHOSEN ONE on my blog. Here is the link to it   http://edouglasbrown.blogspot.ca/2014/06/chapter-1-from-chosen-one.html




No comments:

Post a Comment