Monday, May 26, 2014

MY WRITING PROCESS

A friend of mine on twitter (@scarlettflame2), who also has a blog, contacted me, asking if I would like to get involved in a process where bloggers help one another out by answering four questions then tagging three other bloggers. So here goes:



1) What am I working on?

I published a SF/F book which can be found on amazon under the name of THE CHOSEN ONE. I am busy self promoting this book. Here is a link;  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K0SH3EI

I am editing my second book which is also a SF/F novel. I have also written seven movie script outlines for a produce. He has been shopping them around and so far one has the potential of being green lit. 

I directed a music video which is being edited and should be ready in a couple of weeks. There is a possibility of having funding for my first feature directorial debut next year.


2) How does my work differ from others of its genre?

THE CHOSEN ONE is actually built upon real dreams that I had over a fifteen year period. I decided one day to write the dreams down before they became forgotten. In the process a story formed out of it.

I think the only way my work differs from other authors in my genre is that I don't have the extensive vocabulary that other well educated authors have. My books are written from my educational background, thus anyone can read it; and some people may find them boring because of the layman's terminology that I use. But thank God I found an excellent editor who does wonders to my limited words.

3) Why do I write what I do?

I write because I like to write. I write for me and if I feel the story is good enough for the public then I'll let it loose into the wild world of readers. If I feel it isn't ready for public viewing then I'll put it to one side and years later I'll take it out again and work on it some more.

I also enjoy writing SF/F because I have a wild imagination and in the genre of SF/F the author can concoct strange believable characters and wild worlds filled with bizarre landscapes.

4) How does my writing process work?

I have an idea or concept or character or place or event. From this I let it grow inside my brain. Once it begins to take shape I'll start writing down bits and pieces of the story, characters, places, dialogue. 

Sometimes I'll do an outline and other times I'll have no outline. If I do an outline then I like to treat it as if it was a short story. What I mean by this is that the short story is an abridged version of the completed novel.

Once I start writing I'll have an idea of how the characters will and/or should act/react in situations. I'll also have an understanding of where the story is going and how it should end. Having said that, however, I will let the story and characters take on their own lives and lead the story where they want it to go; within reason.

In the beginning, when I was very, very, very...did I mention very...attached to my writing, I would keep everything. You would have to pull out my fingernails before I agreed to throw out useless or nonessential parts of my book. 

But now when I am finished, I will print of the manuscript and read it through with pencil in hand. Once this has been completed then I'll make changes to the book on the computer. I'll put it off to one side, come back weeks later read it out loud and fix any errors that I'll come across. Once this process is completed I'll put it through the second last stage which is take the entire manuscript and edit it one page at a time; I mean go over the entire page with a magnifying glass. Then I send it out to four dear friends who give me feedback, I'll fix any suggestions and then it's off to my editor.


My friend, Scarlett Flame, has an excellent blog. Here is her link   http://missscarlettflame.blogspot.co.uk/   She writes erotica. Her first book, BOUND FOR PASSION, was published in December 2013. She is presently working on her second book.



No comments:

Post a Comment